Freshmen Working Group on Addiction
The Freshmen Working Group on Addiction is a bipartisan task force working to end the addiction crisis in America. With 63 members from 31 states, the group was established to lend fresh eyes to one of the most devastating crises facing our country and serve as a catalyst for bipartisan cooperation and action. Since its inception, Members have championed legislation, participated in monthly breakfasts with public health professionals and addiction policy stakeholders, hosted addiction-related events in their congressional districts, and helped secure over $11 billion in funding for FY 2020 to combat this crisis.
Kelly Armstrong (ND-AL), Cindy Axne (IA-03), Jim Baird (IN-04), Tim Burchett (TN-02), Sean Casten (IL-06), Gil Cisneros (CA-39), Ben Cline (VA-06), TJ Cox (CA-21), Angie Craig (MN-02), Dan Crenshaw (TX-02), Jason Crow (CO-06), Joe Cunningham (SC-01), Madeleine Dean (PA-04), Antonio Delgado (NY-19), Veronica Escobar (TX-16), Lizzie Fletcher (TX-07), Sylvia Garcia (TX-29), Jared Golden (ME-02), Lance Gooden (TX-05), Michael Guest (MS-03), Deb Haaland (NM-01), Josh Harder (CA-10), Jahana Hayes (CT-05), Kevin Hern (OK-01), Kendra Horn (OK-05), Steven Horsford (NV-04), Chrissy Houlahan (PA-06), Dusty Johnson (SD-AL), John Joyce (PA-13), Andy Kim (NJ-03), Ann Kirkpatrick (AZ-02), Conor Lamb (PA-17), Susie Lee (NV-03), Mike Levin (CA-49), Andy Levin (MI-09), Elaine Luria (VA-02), Ben McAdams (UT-04), Lucy McBath (GA-06), Dan Meuser (PA-09), Joe Neguse (CO-02), Chris Pappas (NH-01), Dean Phillips (MN-03), Guy Reschenthaler (PA-14), Denver Riggleman (VA-05), Max Rose (NY-11), Harley Rouda (CA-48), Mary Gay Scanlon (PA-05), Kim Schrier (WA-08), Donna Shalala (FL-27), Mikie Sherrill (NJ-11), Elissa Slotkin (MI-08), Abigail Spanberger (VA-07), Greg Stanton (AZ-09), Bryan Steil (WI-01), Haley Stevens (MI-11), Van Taylor (TX-03), William Timmons (SC-04), Rashida Tlaib (MI-13), Lori Trahan (MA-03), David Trone (MD-06), Lauren Underwood (IL-14), Steve Watkins (KS-02), Jennifer Wexton (VA-10), Susan Wild (PA-07)
Working Group Breakfasts and Discussion
Each month, the Freshmen Working Group on Addiction holds discussion breakfasts for Members of Congress and their staff. The discussions feature outside experts on topics relating to all areas of addiction. Past topics include:
- The Resurgence of Methamphetamine
- Veterans and Addiction
- The Intersection of Mental Health and Addiction
- Impact of Opioids on Children and Families
- Medical Professionals and Personal Experience with Opioids
- Medication Assisted Treatment
- Aspects of the Opioids Crisis & Efforts to Combat Trafficking
- Meet Addiction Community Stakeholders
- Impacts of the Opioid Epidemic on Rural Communities
- Discussion with the Office of National Drug Control and Policy
- Overview of Past Congressional Action on Opioids
Congress Goes Purple
As a part of National Recovery Month, in September Freshmen Working Group on Addiction members Reps. David Trone (D-MD) and Denver Riggleman (R-VA) and Bipartisan Opioid Task Force co-chairs Reps. Ann McLane Kuster (D-NH) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA) invited all Members to celebrate Congress Goes Purple by wearing the color purple and participating in a group photo. Congress Goes Purple is inspired by grassroots and local efforts focused on bringing awareness to the addiction epidemic that is ravaging our nation. Purple is the color associated with National Recovery Month and recovery in general. Communities across the country have also started their own “Go Purple” campaigns.
National Institutes of Health
Members of the Freshmen Working Group on Addiction Tour the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to learn about efforts to combat the addiction epidemic.
Member-Held District Events
Members of the Freshmen Working Group on Addiction Hold Opioid-Related Events in District
- Rep. Jennifer Wexton: "Congresswoman gets ideas on reducing addiction"
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill: "Rep. Sherrill Meets with Local Officials, Organizations to Discuss Efforts to Combat Opioid Crisis in North Jersey"
- Rep. Harley Rouda: Rep. Rouda Hosts Roundtable Focused on Addiction Crisis
- Rep. Anthony Delgado: "Opioids A Focus For Delgado On Recent Trip Around District"
- Rep. David Trone: "'We can't give up on people:' Workshop focuses on fighting drug epidemic"
- Rep. Kelly Armstrong: "Rep. Kelly Armstrong Holds Roundtable on Addiction in Grand Forks"