Help with a Federal Agency


If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Residents of the 6th Congressional District of Maryland can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. 

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Please Note:

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.
We must have your signature to proceed with this type of request

Please complete and send a signed copy of the appropriate Privacy Release form(s) to one of our District Offices.

For All Cases: In order to advocate on your behalf, you must complete the General Privacy Release form. In addition to the form, a brief letter detailing the particular issue or issues that you are experiencing would be helpful for our staff to gain a comprehensive understanding of your situation. Additionally, any supporting documentation that you have may provide useful background information.
For Immigration Related Cases: In addition to the General Privacy Release form and a brief letter, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires a specific Immigration Privacy Release Form.
For Department of Veterans Affairs Related Cases: In addition to the General Privacy Release form and a brief letter, you must also submit a copy for your DD-214. If you do not have a copy of your discharge papers, our office will assist in obtaining a copy for your records.

Once our staff receives all documentation they will review and assess your case. Certain agencies and companies require additional documentation, which our staff will share with you if necessary.

Please send all Privacy Release forms, cover letters, and supporting documents to our District staff via e-mail (preferred), U.S. Mail, fax, or in person.

Congressman David Trone
9801 Washingtonian Boulevard, Suite 330
Gaithersburg, MD 20878


Thank you again for contacting our office regarding your personal matter. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our staff at (301) 926-0300 or (240) 382-6464.