Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Representative Trone may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. The application officially opens on May 29, 2019. The deadling October 11, 2019. All application materials need to be sent into the office no later than 5pm on October 11, 2019. For more information about the Nomination Process, read more about our Service Academy Nomination - General Information here.
To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
- A completed application (available below as "Military Academy Nomination Form"). Formal candidacy is established upon receipt of all required parts of the application. Within the application below, there are sections to upload:
- A formal, signed motivational letter addressed to the Congressman requesting a nomination to a specific academy. This should be approximately 500 words in length.
- A resume, including but not limited to: education, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, employment, awards and achievements, and reference contacts.
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters may come from teachers (from different disciplines), counselors, employers, coaches, clergy, or anyone who knows you well (non-familial). These can be sent to my office by the individual writing the recommendation letter. These can be sent through e-mail at Trone.Academy@mail.house.gov or by U.S. Mail to my Gaithersburg office.
- An official high school transcript. Transcripts must include your grade point average and your anticipated coursework for your senior year. These must be sent by your school to my Gaithersburg office.
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores. These scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to my office. Copies of unofficial or official test scores will not be accepted. Applicants are responsible for requesting that the scores be sent. These tests must be taken no later than the testing dates in October. You will not be eligible for a nomination if your SAT and/or ACT results are not received in our office by the week following the interview date.
- SAT code: 0214
- ACT code: 7448
- NOTE: While there are sections on the online form for your SAT and/or ACT results, our office still needs the official scores sent from the testing agency.
- An interview with the Service Academy Selection Board (Congressman Trone's office will schedule this - usually scheduled in late November).